Friday, February 26, 2016

Shopping Trip

In Store Scavenger Hunt


Examples of convenient meal items that meet my healthy/better-for-you criteria

 Here are examples of meal items that can be grabbed (and are in my home as a meal substitute) a bar or drink that have a lot of nutrients, protein and come in a nice variety of flavors. Easy to take with you when you are on the run.  On the package the protein is what peaks my interest, also on the bars now, the variety of flavors is what peaks my interest - I mean look at these zone perfect bars..mmmm.. chocolate chip cookie dough, dark chocolate almond...yum.  But theres more.....

There are three pictures that follow this blurb....For days when you are working and you don't want to run to the fast food place, (or you forgot to make yourself a decent lunch... these salads that are made up offer a convenient and healthy option and are appropriately calorie and nutrient for eating and not having to worry too much about eating bad.  These salads come in a good variety and are in the deli or produce area of the store.  You can see in this small sampling quite a few varieties. Some have meats, some are loaded with veggies and most come with a low calorie dressing and also comes with a portioned dressing so you get exactly what is a reasonable calorie content on them. (rather than a free-pour salad bottle that can lead to extra calories!)
There are bags of chicken and steak in the same area - they are pricey -- 3.98 for the smallest bag that would really only be sufficient for one person, but they are a good source of protein and substance for a salad or snack - the appeal of this product to me is pre-cooked, no hormones or steroids added, they are grilled. Following that photo is the pre-packaged salad kit area and it shows the Sunflower Salad Mix (Dole) that we use a lot for quick meals,  IN the package is not only the chopped up salad but the add ins, such as sunflower seeds, cranberries, a package of dresssing, some of these mixes have chicken or bacon in them as well.  It's quick and easy and fresh eating, great to have alone or with a meal or break into two servings and take to work for lunch. I have bought all of the items shown in this section at one time or another in the past year. I regularly buy the Dole salad (and store brand) kits.









Examples of convenient meal items that DO NOT meet my healthy/better-for-you criteria

These burritos are quick and easy but have you seen the calorie count on these? And a whopping 60% of your daily allowance of FAT. AUGH. Not acceptable.  I used to buy these for my kids (when they were young adults - 18-24 - they would ask for them when I was going shopping back when they lived with me and I would just pick them up and put them in the cart. About a month ago I looked at one and read the back and went OH MY GOODNESS I let my kids eat this?!? (Egg rolls in the same style are right next to these-- high fat, high calories, no nutrients)


And of course the grab and go pizza...horribly high in fat, and sodium. I am guilty of grabbing them once in a while while in the store because I know I will be busy and they are cheaper than delivery.

These are in the deli/produce area as well (all of these items are) and they are again SO HIGH in calories and fat and sodium, just loaded with them. I have bought these once or twice but really don't like them.


Another high sodium and fat culprit!The pre made potato salads and other salads you find in the deli/produce area.



Examples of FROZEN Pre-Cooked Chicken Nuggets/strips/wings that appeal to me:

These products appeal to me because they are the least calorie, made with white meat, 4% total fat,18% sodium,39% protein, all in a 3 oz serving!!! No trans fats,the package looks pure, healthy, simple, bright and colorful packaging. I have bought these products shown here and do often.


Tyson Chicken Breast Fillets, green packaging, looks fresh, 100% natural on the bag, 110 calories, 3% total fat, 14% sodium and 42% protein in one peice!



For the kids in your life -- these Tyson Fun Nuggets are 100% natural made with white meat chicken, Whole grains, fun shapes, no fillers, no preservatives and no trans fat. They are a little higher in calories due to the breading and not as much protein as the more adult products up top, but overall, a nice product and I have fed these to my grandkids. Cute packaging, with the dinosaur on them.



Examples of FROZEN Pre-Cooked Chicken Nuggets/strips/wings that DO NOT appeal to me:



Here we have Banquet fried chicken... number one look at the price of this product, over $10 and I've had this stuff, its largely bones, there is not much meat on them and it is higher in calories, a lot higher in fat (3 or 4% in the products I like versus in the 20 to 30 percent range in this product.  higher sodium and less protein. And it tastes, frankly like ...(yuck).



 


So these have potato starch, chicken FLAVOR, up to 8% Chicken broth.... and so you have a lot of add ins, these are still high in protein, and not horrible in calories, but again, these products are high in sodium and much higher in fat. (18%).  I also know from experience that the portion of meat on these is minimal. It's largely bones.

After my shop, nothing surprised me, I research what I eat and in the past year have been on a knowledge quest for what products are healthier, where  you can find good protein, low fat, low sodium.

I don't feel that there is anything missing from the frozen pre-cooked chicken section of the store, there is a large selection of items, of course finding a breaded chicken product with better numbers and nutrients would be nice, but I don't know that it is possible.  I don't know of anything that I would like to see less of, its a good balanced area, in general the protein and calories in these products are much better than many other items, but what you have to watch for is the meat quantity (and quality) in the products. To pay over $10 for a box of fried chicken and get so little meat (and its hard and low quality) is not fair to the consumer.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Valerie for your scavenger hunt post. For these items, can you say why you would (or would not) buy them? Is it taste, health, convenience, price, ugly packaging, etc, etc? Also, for the Bob Evans and potato salad, you mention you've purchased them. What made you buy them? Would you buy again?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi!
    The boost and zone perfect items i would buy because of taste and health and convenience. The prepackaged salads (complete), the prepacked salad kits and the precooked/chicken/beef strips are all taste and convenience. And somewhat healthy too. The pizza, burritos/egg rolls/bob evans and store brand items I try not to buy because of health (lack of!) I have bought all of these things at one time or another, the bob evans and potato salad I don't buy often because of the sodium and calories with the portion size - just too high, not enough to satisfy hunger but too many calories. The Grilled and Ready and the dino tyson I have and will buy, very good due to calories. The other chicken products that follow (wings, etc) I have bought in past, but do not anymore because I have found better alternatives to them that are lower in calories and lower sodioum.

    ReplyDelete