Assignment #3:
What a Difference a Day Makes!
These are first person, in the voice of my daughter who works, goes to college, has a family to take care and pets and a husband.
Day 1: A Day That’s
In Balance. Write about a day that goes smoothly, a day
in which the woman feels like her life is in balance today.
I got to bed early and slept like a baby. I got up and had my coffee and yogurt and a bagel and packed myself a healthy salad and sandwich and fruit for lunch. I'm ready to start my day and it's going to be good. I pet the dogs and head out the door to school. I listen to some great music on the way to school and enjoy the teachers lecture. I leave school feeling inspired and head to work. I get good parking and it's not crazy busy today. I will be able to get through it and have some energy left for my family and housekeeping tonight and then a few hours of homework and off to bed.
Day 2: A Day That’s
Out of Balance. Write about a
different kind of day in this woman’s life, a day in which she feels like her life
is out of balance today.
The dogs barking kept me from getting a restful nights sleep. I am dragging and the coffee just isn't working. I still have to finish that Ethics paper and work my 8 hours today. I don't have time to eat breakfast because I slept in as late as possible. Lack of sleep and no food will make for a difficult day. I will probably be a able to get a lunch if I drive through a fast food place real quick during the lunch hour but that's going to make me drag too. It seems if I don't start out right it all goes to hell. I will just keep on trucking, that's all I can do. Work ends and I go home and collapse in my recliner. I don't want to make dinner, I will probably just eat chips and dip and whatever I can find that is easy and tell my family it's do your own thing tonight, Mommy is tired and needs to go to bed early. Tomorrow will be better if I get some sleep tonight.
After you’ve written your
short stories, please reflect on them and answer the following questions:
1. Explain how you relate to this
woman and her two different days. Which
day do you relate to more and why?
My daughter and I are very similar only I don't have kids at home anymore, I only have 2 pets (she has 4) I don't have to leave my home for school or work even though I have them, its all online/virtual. I relate to the first day more so as I have been very diligent about managing my sleep and work and relax time.
2. How often do you have a day
that’s in balance? What tools or tricks
help you to have those days? How do you
feel about yourself on these days? IF
APPLICABLE: How do you feel about the
job you’re doing as a mom on these days?
I say about 80 percent of the time my days are in balance. Tools are to stick to a schedule, not stay up late, get a good nights rest and eat well and balance your activities. (N/A - no kids at home)
3. How often do you have a day
that’s out of balance? What factors make
those kinds of days happen? How do you
feel about yourself on these days? IF
APPLICABLE: How do you feel about the
job you’re doing as a mom on these days?
Probably 1 day a week to 2 days a week I might have an out of balance day due to something (insomnia, illness, pain, stress or something on my mind) that keeps me from a solid sleep at night. I feel rushed, cranky and exhausted, out of balance on those days. (n/a - no kids at home)


Thanks for your stories and reflection. Could you just give me a sentence for day 1 and detail more of the after school part, particularly how she eats.
ReplyDeleteNot 100% clear what you are asking here...I'll wing it:
ReplyDeleteDay 1 - Because she slept well she has a good day. She will eat breakfast at home, pack a lunch for school (day) and snacks as well for work (celery, carrots, granola bars etc.) -- for dinner she will have energy and feel well because she slept well the night before, she has eaten well during the day and maintained a calm and happy disposition. For dinner she will go home and cook something warm and nutritious for her family. Her family likes chicken nuggets, tacos, chicken cheese quesadillas, salads with sliced meats and such...these are the types of meals she would make her family on a work/school day. She will spend more time doing casseroles and more detailed cooking on days that she does not have work or school.
I hope that answers your question. If not, I am sorry, please clarify and I will try again.
That's great, thanks.
ReplyDelete